A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

I replaced the engine in a 2002 ford taurus ses with ohv. I

Customer Question

I replaced the engine in a 2002 ford taurus ses with ohv. I did not mark the sensor alinement scence it was gooing in a new engine I figured it would all have to bee retimed to get the best preformance a mechanic loaned me the tool and I set every thing car ran well but then through coads p1309 & p1000. I double checked and had been given the wrong tool.So I bought a 5 peice set with the right tool in it . I reset every thing again runs a little ruffer and still through same coad reset every thing reset every thing agian no change
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 9 months ago.

You may have the CMP installed 180 degrees out. Try installing it 180 degrees. Take the sensor off, leave the synchronizer in place and hand crank the engine around to where the pointer in the synchronizer is 180 degrees opposite of where it should be. Then remove the synchronizer and make sure #1 is a TDC. Then reinstall the synchronizer and then reinstall the CMP sensor. See below.