roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Changed the orfice filter and the compressor on my 2005 ford

Customer Question

changed the orfice filter and the compressor on my 2005 ford freestar still not getting cold air
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 6 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

how much freon did you add??

did you evacuate the system for 1 hour before charging?

did you replace the dryer as well?

can you give me the high and low side gauge readings while the ac is on??

Roy

Roy

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I added 3 cans of r-134a as advised to do so I haven't done anything else and I don't have a gauge for readings
Expert:  roy replied 6 months ago.

can you get a set of gauges???

the dryer has to be replaced. once the system is open, the system is contaminated with moisture and since you did not evacuate the system, that makes matters worse

Roy

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
now I have to replace the dryer prob the filter again recharge and flush it out is that what you are saying
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
basically redo the whole ac system
Expert:  roy replied 6 months ago.

in your original post, you said filter. is that the orfice tube you are referring to?? if your not sure, it is in the line, a steel line, that runs from the condenser to the evaporator.

no, it is not the whole system. there is much more to it

Roy

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
that is correct the orfice tube
Expert:  roy replied 6 months ago.

ok, then yes, the dryer or the big can has to be replaced. do not flush the system. just blow shop air through it. then it must be evacuated to boil out moisture and then add 2 ounces of pag oil and charge the system

Roy

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is there a way to check it before I replace it because it don't want to waste more money on unnecessary replacement parts if it is something else
Expert:  roy replied 6 months ago.

it is absolutely necessary as I stated before. besides. if you replaced the compressor and orfice tube, I assume the compressor failed and debris is in the dryer. you do not want to replace the compressor again because you did not replace all the needed parts, do you??

when the system is on, touch the bottom of the dryer. how does it feel??

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no the compressor didn't fail it had a catch in the clutch so therefore I replaced it before it failed and messed the whole system up but it still pumps fine just needs a new clutch on it I only replaced the orfice tube because it was recommended by a mechanic to do so who said the dryer appeared to be working properly so maybe the orfice tube was stopped which is why I was still not getting air and I put the amount of Freon he recommended but I still am not getting air I researched and was noticing that my cars recommendation for Freon is 53 ounces which is over 4 cans I only put three so if it is still low on Freon would I still not be getting cold air at all or should it feel some colder I don't want to keep adding if I am going to have to do more to the system but I don't want to keep replacing things and still not getting to what the problem is what is the dryer suppose to feel like and I will go see right quick
Expert:  roy replied 6 months ago.

how does the dryer feel while running???

you are low in freon, no doubt but you still did not evacuate the system as moisture and freon do not work well together.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I went and felt that there is no moisture on it and it feels cool but not cold what am I suppose to be looking for and what can I do since I didn't evacuate the system
Expert:  roy replied 6 months ago.

ok, it is supposed to be warm to the touch. you need to replace it. thats the bot***** *****ne.

you need to remove the freon again, replace the dryer, add oil as I stated before, evacuate the system and then charge it with exact amount of freon. thats the steps you need to do

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 6 months ago.

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 6 months ago.

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 6 months ago.

please dont for get to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy