A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

My 2010 Ford Escape lift gate or window will not open. : Yes

Customer Question

My 2010 Ford Escape lift gate or window will not open.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 4 months ago.

Does your Escape have remote keyless entry?
Do the rear license plate lights work?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
remote entry
Not sure about the license lights as this is my nieces car and I am going to go look at it soon...

Ok. Check and make sure the power door locks work and while testing. stand at the back of the vehicle and listen for the rear lift gate power door lock actuator clicking when locking and unlocking the door locks with the remote. If no clicking is heard, then the rear hatch trim panel will have to be removed from inside the vehicle and the rear hatch will have to be popped open by moving the rods in the rear hatch. The bad part is that the rear hatch glass latches through the trim panel. So make sure the window or lift gate are both inop.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK - I will find out and get back to you. Thank you.

Your welcome. Please keep me informed. Down here in Tampa, FL. watching the tropical depression.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok at the 2010 Ford Escape - the license plate lights are working and I can access the window but not the Gate

Ok, That is better than both not opening. Since the glass opens, you will have to take the top of the lift gate panel loose and then work your way down to the latch opening for the glass. Carefully lift the cover over the glass latch and pull it away from the lift gate. Then remove the plastic water barrier to access the lift gate latch. Look for the power door lock actuator on the latch and push down and pull up on the lever the actuator is on to open the hatch.