AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a explorer 4.6 liter 5r55w just replaced solenoid

Customer Question

I have a explorer 4.6 liter 5r55w just replaced solenoid pack. Code p0755 said solenoid pressure control b failure. Still late shifting,especially in first and o/d light blinking so won't shift into fifth. I don't know if I "learned" the transmission right or what. What else could cause these symotoms. 95500 miles no symptoms until abruptly throwing the "check transmission" message and od light blinking
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. If the transmission solenoid body assembly has been replaced, then the only other possible cause would be a bad PCM or a wiring issue between the PCM and the transmission shift solenoid B. Here is the definition for this code.

P0755 Shift Solenoid 'B' Control Circuit Malfunction

Possible Causes
SSB solenoid Ignition circuit is open (check fuse from power distribution)
SSB solenoid control circuit is open
SSB solenoid has failed
PCM has failed.
SSB solenoid connector is damaged (check pins for damage)

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Here is a wiring diagram for this circuit.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
how should I test the PCM? Or the wiring harness for the solenoid pack. I did just replace the pack. Is there a process for learning the transmission after a solenoid pack replacement?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

I have never heard of learning the transmission. Now the PCM may learn the shift points as you drive the vehicle after the battery has been disconnected, but there is no a relearn for the transmission or solenoid pack.

I would ohm out the wire from the PCM to the transmission solenoid pack.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay I don't know how to ohm it out. I assume I need a multimeter or whatever. How would I do this
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

YES, you will need a volt/ohm meter. You will need to hook up one side to the wire going to the signal wire going to the transmission B solenoid and the other wire going to that same wire but at the PCM. If the wire is in good shape, it will read 0 ohms. If the wire is open or broken (causing this problem), it will read OL.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the PCM under the hood and the wire going to solenoid b u derived the hood. I'm just not fully understanding.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I see how to check the ignition circuit for solenoid b but how do you check the control circuit. Is that with the volt meter or does the volt meter just check the power coming from the pcm?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

It might be easier to speak over the phone. Would you be willing to do so?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I mean tomorrow it'd be easier as it's raining/dark and I don't have access to a voltmeter where I am. So I ohm check at the pcm under the hood to solenoid b wire and the same wire at what location exactly.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
how do I check the control circuit? Is this what we're are doing with the voltmeter? I'll check the ignition circuit fuse in the light tomorrow
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

YES, thats correct. We check the wire from the PCM going to the transmission and or solenoid. Then if needed, we check the ground from the PCM using the voltmeter set on the 20 volt DC scale.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay tomorrow I'll check those. I'll probably have to call because I don't quite fully understand where to place both wires coming out of the voltmeter
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Sounds good! I will be looking forward to hearing from you! Have a good night!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Which fuse at the pdb is where I would stick the voltmeter?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just don't understand where to put the ohm checker and the owners manual is no help really.