HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

2003 ford expedition interior lights say on while driving

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, this is most likely caused by a sticking door ajar switch. The drivers front door is the most common door to have issues since it is used the most. But you would need a scan tool capable of showing which door is reading open when it is closed to be sure. The door ajar switch is located on the latch mechanism inside the door opening where it hits the striker. You can try spraying wd40 or similiar lubricant into the door latches and slamming the door closed several times to try and loosen up the switch, but most likely it will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I changed the door pins in both driver and passenger door... also, I replaced the headlight light switch and instrument cluster.. Last tech suggested that would fix the problem... nothing changed. I also noticed that after I get out the vehicle it takes 12-13 mins before the interior lights and outside mirrors lights to turn off after I lock the doors from the keyless remote
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Ok, being an expedition it could still be one of the rear doors or hatchback causing the light to stay on, or a defective replacement switch. When the switch is unplugged it will default to leaving the interior lights on. A scan tool will tell which door is reading open, and also scan the system for any trouble codes. Make sure the dimmer switch isnt left to the on position, this will also leave the interiror lamps on

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I checked for continuity at the central junction box all the door pins swiches and the rear tail gate and glass.. everything checks out ok.. continunity is there when doors are closed and broken when opened
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Well you arent going to know more as to why it is commanding the interior lamps on without running a scan tool to the GEM/body control module. EIther the doors ar reading ajar or there is a short circuit in the GEM or issue with an add on aftermarket alarm system causing this concern. I have seen more issues of water leaks from the windsheild into the GEM module on the F series than expeditions, but it does happen to them too. After checking for codes, on the back of the interior fuse panel is the GEM module. At the bottom of the rear of the fuse panel is two large bolted in electrical connectors. They are held in place by 10 mm bolts. unbolt the connectors and inspect for water intrusion/corrosion, if so the GEM module and fuse block would need replaced and the front windshield resealed

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.