Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

Running lights and back-up lights not working. 2001 E350

Customer Question

running lights and back-up lights not working. 2001 E350 based shuttle bus
JA: How old is your battery? When was the last tune up?
Customer: Battery age unknown. Cranks very strong however. Plugs and boots replaced app 600 miles ago
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Turn signal and brake lights (two on each side) work fine. No tail lights when headlights are on. Also no licsense light
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes. Electrical gremlins can be very time consuming and expensive
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Ive checked the ground at the lights because I figured that was the only thing in common with the tail and reverse lights. The ground wires show connection to chassis ground with meter
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: I have no manual to show me fuse layout. There seem to be many different ones on the net
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central everyday. Please let me know exactly what you need from this conversation so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

Is this a E350 stripped chassis or is it a van?

Are you good with wire diag using a test light or volt ohm meter?

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is a stripped chassis which is now a Startrans shuttle bus. I have many years experience in electronica/electrical but none in automotive electrics
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a VOM but no test light
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Super Duty chassis, but I doubt that is important

Thanks lets start at the transmission range sensor on the drivers side of the transmission. Back probe the connector with the parking brake set, key on, and in reverse. The black/pink wire that powers the reverse lamps should be powered. If so then its a wire break to the rear of the vehicle.

For the parking lights, lets remove the headlight switch and confirm the brown wire is powered with the parking and headlights on. Can you let me know these results?

At the top of your screen you will see 1-5 stars and a green submit button. When your ready please make sure to pick a rating. Rating is the only way I get compensated for helping. Don't worry about a follow up later if needed, they are free and I welcome them. Ask me about a phone call if you prefer that service.

Thanks Chris

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Moose. Sorry it took so long to reply. I started with the running/marker lights. When I removed the headlamp switch, I found the female connector/harness in terrible condition. yellowed and cracked from heat and a loose rheostat spring had melted the connector. I replaced the switch and the connector harness. I now have running and marker lights.
The only device I see on the tranny is a large black flat thing with the square shaft going thru. I assume this is the position sensor. There is a harness with multiple connector plugged in. I see no seperate reverse sensor for the lights.

The TR sensor on the drivers side of the transmission where the shift linkage connects contains the reverse sensor inside of it.