Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

I have a problem with my 1994 f350 460 truck. it acts like

Customer Question

hi pearl. I have a problem with my 1994 f350 460 truck. it acts like it is running out of gas and at times it has hard starting. I have replaced both fuel pumps and it has duel tanks.... after I did... it worked for a few days but again I could only use one tank but the other wont work. so now my truck doesn't run well at all.... the truck acts like it is running on six cylinders....what do you think....patrick
JA: So many things can cause fuel pump issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: replacing the fuel pumps
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: i replaced the distributer because it felt like i had a bad plug or timing
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 4 months ago.

Hi there.

Sometimes parts we have replaced and think are good are actually not (I guess that's why they have warranties ;-).

If it feels like is running out of gas, then it probably is. Check fuel pressure at the rail. If not about 40psi, check that all pumps are getting battery voltage with the engine running. If voltage is good, but pressure still not around 40psi, block the return line from the fuel press regulator and retest pressure. If not over 45psi, then the pumps are not doing their job.

If fuel delivery is OK, then you'll need to run a cylinder balance test to see which cylinder(s) is/are not performing as well as the others, then go from there and pinpoint the cause - plugs, wires, mechanical.