Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2003 ford expedition, interior lights stay on when vehicle

Customer Question

2003 ford expedition, interior lights stay on when vehicle is off or on. I've changed the driver and passenger door pin switches,
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: yes, I've checked the bulbs
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: interior lights stay with or without key
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Peal, beautiful name… I've replaced the door pins, driver and passenger side were bad. also, i check all the fuses
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: Pearl, no. sorry about that
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 6 months ago.

Hi. Have you tried turning the dimmer switch for interior lights down? All the way up keeps the lights on.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
interior lights stay all the time

I know. Have you tried turning the dimmer switch for interior lights down? All the way up keeps the lights on

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i can turn the switch completely down which turns the lights off
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
when in the middle, delay part, the light say on even when the key.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the lights stay on when the doors are locked and while driving
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is this all the help ill receive…??

Ok. The main light switch dimmer switch sends a signal to the interior lamp relay. Sounds like the main headlamp switch may need to be replaced.

The interior lamp relay is built into the instrument cluster.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i have a multimeter.. didn't have a diagram on how to check the switch.. your help is gladly needed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
check the relay. and location
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
can you instruct me on location of relay and how check switch

THe relay is built into the instrument cluster and is not serviceable. And I have in the past replaced instrument clusters to fix this concern. But first check the switch. CLICK HERE for procedure to check switch.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm confused on how to use my multimeter the switch..

You need to put the meter on ohms and check for continuity in the different switch positions.

You are going to be checking for continuity through terminals using the chart while working the switch.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
when the switch is off there is continuity, when its turned to running lights or headlight, continuity is lost.

Ok. DO the lights still stay on if the headlamp switch is unplugged?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

The lights should turn off when the headlamp switch is disconnected as you are removing ground from the relay. More than likely you need to replace the instrument cluster. The relay is built into the cluster.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the instrument cluster is the main fuse box. passenger side ??
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the instrument cluster would cause the interior lights not work.. and the relay is in the cluster and not fuse box

Yes that is correct. The cluster is not the fuse box. There interior relay is just built into it.

I have been a Ford mechanic for 20 years. CLICK HERE for the wiring diagram so you can see for yourself.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the switch is good from what I've explained.

From what you explain it sounds it. But a switch would be a lot cheaper than a cluster to try if you are not sure about it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
can you walk me thru the steps again on how to check the switch..
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hi Eric.
after speaking with you about the interior lights staying on and changing the instrument cluster and checking the switch i still was unsure if I did check the switch proper.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
install the cluster and switch, still have same problem

I am going to have to opt-out and see if another expert has more info on this.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central everyday. Please let me know exactly what you need from this conversation so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

The tech which was helping needed to throw in the towel. I may be able to help on this concern if help is still needed.

Thanks Chris

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris