Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

I was changing the oil filter on a 2001 Ranger and shorted a

Customer Question

I was changing the oil filter on a 2001 Ranger and shorted a component nearby. Now the Anti-theft system is set and the starter won't engage.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Where is the starter relay located on a 2001 Ranger? How do I reset the anti-theft system once it has been tripped?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, the truck is sitting disabled in my garage.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: To reset the anti-theft system, I have tried to start it with the key in the ignition switch and locked and unlocked the driver side door. They anti-theft light is still blinking.
JA: Ignition switch issues can be tricky, but with the right information -- fixable. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: Just that I momentarily shorted a component by the oil filter with an oil filter wrench when i was removing the filter.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer!

I am Derek, a ASE master technician i will be happy to assist you with your question.

Do you happen to know what the component was that was shorted?

I am suspecting a fuse is now blown causing your problem.

Also what engine is in your truck?

The 8th letter in your vin will let me know the engine type.