Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I changed the ball joint on my 97 f350 and now the steering

Customer Question

I changed the ball joint on my 97 f350 and now the steering doesn't turn freely any more what I mean by this is for example if I go in to a turn at 50mph and let go of the steering wheel it will continue to make the turn. It steers freely in the yard or if I stop at a red light and turn right or left but going down the road it is like the ball joints are to tight. with out the tie rods connected I can move the front wheel spindles freely by hand or at least in my opinion they are free. I removed the shock from the steering because this seemed to make the steering feel freer. I notice it more when i am pulling my camper because it is harder to keep it straight when driving. I had an alignment done after the ball joints were changed but I am not sure if it was done correctly as it was a small shop and I really could not tell any difference after the alignment was done. finally this week end I went over a draw bridge with a metal deck and the front of the truck moved right and left as I went over like the alignment was really bad out, what is your opinion?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help... Jack the truck up and disconnect the tie rod end and move the spindle by hand to see if it is too tight. Check both sides. If okay then it is possible the alignment is not in specs. I would go back to them and get the printout of the final adjustments. Most shops have a printout or get a second shop to check it. Let me know