gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

My ABS light is on and the icon with the car skidding is

Customer Question

my ABS light is on and the icon with the car skidding is also on. I have a 2008 Ford Edge
JA: So many factors can cause ABS issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: the light just came on today
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: not sure what to do. I need my car to get to work because I have to drive with a left foot accelerator pedal, so I can't just drive any other car. wondering how long it will take to get this fixed
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 6 months ago.

the only way to know is to scan the ABS system for faults. you have a speed sensor on each wheel, one of them is likely faulty. It is a couple hours of diagnosis and repair.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can I drive the car with the ABS light on?

Sure- check your fluid level to make sure that isn't a cause of the problem (ABS light being on typically means an electrical faults in the system) and the mechanical brakes will work fine- you just won't get ABS activation, so don't slam on the brakes on ice or sand, or follow too close to react.