Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson

We have a 1966 Ford Mustang. Originally had a 6 cylinder,

Customer Question

We have a 1966 Ford Mustang. Originally had a 6 cylinder, now a 289 automatic trans. Stater issues are my problem, upon starting the engine, starter stays engaged even after it has started. New solenoid and new starter has been changed. Any suggestions?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: new solenoid, new starter..
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Check for power to the S terminal on the solenoid when this happens. If there is power there when this happens it is a signal problem causing this. Check the relay/solenoid on the firewall/fenderwell for sticking engaged or for a shorted ignition switch. Check for power in and out to verify. Let me know

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you! I will try that...Thanx! Later, Tom

Pleasure to help Tom. If there is no power there to signal the starter to engage but it is sticking, check to see if the drive is getting jammed into the flywheel and not releasing meaning the starter will need to be shimmed. Let me know but if the signal wire is still powered for some reason the problem will be on the ignition circuit side.