Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.

I have activated MYKey and i have a limit speed of 80mph.

Customer Question

I have activated MYKey and i have a limit speed of 80mph. how do i reset it to normal. Ford escape 2011
I am reading what is on the page, but i do not have an admin key. i just bought this car from someone and the person does not know the admin key
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** you will need to do is go to the dealership and have another key made, then have both keys programmed to the vehicle, then the key will be reset to a admin key, this is the only way to wipe the other key to have it turned into a admin key. Any more questions just ask, thanks Scott

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1. Do i really need the admin key to reset the speed limit?
2. One thing is that when i go to settings, i see Admin key status as 'programmed' but i just do not know the keys
3. Also, my dealership (in Ghana) told me some months back that they can not provide support for my car because it was bought as a used car from the US to Ghana. do you know if i can get this admin key online
4. Is the admin key hardware or software?
5. How different is it from the car key?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 4 months ago.

Yes you need a admin key to reset the speed.

It shows as one key being admin key which is normal, since it is a lost key, it will need to be reprogrammed.

I have no idea what the ghana dealer can do, I am in the US.

The keys are identical, they just need programmed using a Ford IDS scan tool. This is the only way to clear the keys out.