john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

I have a 2013 Mustang, V6, 66,000 miles. Recently the

Customer Question

I have a 2013 Mustang, V6, 66,000 miles. Recently the Powertrain Malfunction light comes on and car loses drive and acceleration. I can pull off to the side of the road, turn the car off and back on and it runs fine. This makes me think the problem is electrical and not mechanical.
Also sometimes this is accompanied by the On-board Diagnostics light coming on. I notice this almost ALWAYs happens after driving in the rain or getting the car washed. One of the indicators of the On-board Diagnostics light coming on is that the electrical system "may be wet."
Is it possible I am getting water in the electrical system and this may be causing this problem?
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No I don't.
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Ford Mechanic to figure that out. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried sending you this message. LOL
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: This is the only problem I am having
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 11 months ago.

have you scanned foe trouble codes? is the light on solid?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have not scanned for codes. The light stays on solid until I turn the car off and restart it.

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

if you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you