A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

Its a 1994 ford tempo and the brakes are stiff but it has

Customer Question

Its a 1994 ford tempo and the brakes are stiff but it has full brake fluid
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Its stops but have to really press on brakes with force almost like your slamming on the breakes to get it to stop
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing just bought it and dont want to do the wrong thing and mess it up without knowing for sure what the problem is
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: It is missing the brake fluid cap and needs a motor mount and a tune up
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: And new idler
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 4 months ago.

Sounds like the vacuum brake booster has failed and is not giving you the brake power assist that is done by using engine vacuum to the brake booster. With the engine off, remove the large vacuum line to the brake booster and listen for a large rush off air which is vacuum escaping when you remove the hose. If you do not hear this noise, replace the brake booster.