A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

Trying to open rear door bottom cable off and door wont open

Customer Question

trying to open rear door bottom cable off and door wont open
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: the rear latch cable of the suicide door lower portion of the cable is unattached from the lower latch and I am trying to get the rear door open to repair it.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I fixed the upper latch awhile back with some aluminum replacement parts that worked well, but did not fix the lower latch because it was working then.
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: I have the top latch unlocked but can get the lower latch to let loose.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 5 months ago.

What year and model Ford area you working on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2003 f-150

Is it a super cab or a crew cab and left or right door?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Two rear doors , drivers side is the broken one

I take it is a super cab. You will need to remove the upper and then lower trim panels from the inside of the door. Even with the door closed, this will need to be done. The top panel overlaps the lower panel.

The latches have cables that connect them to the mechanisms inside the door. They have plastic sleeves on them that break and allow the cables to slack and not move the latches properly.

See below.

You will need to remove the cables from the center mechanism and then pull on the steel cable to release the latch and open the door. You will have to do one latch at a time.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Got it open and repairing latch with aluminum replacement parts. Thanks for your help and have a good day

Your welcome. There is a company that makes repair ends for the cables so you do not have to replace them. We use them at the dealership because the older ones for the Expeditions and Navigators are no longer available.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That's what I am using now. Thanks

Ok. Your welcome.