HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I'm trying to find the blinker relay in my expedition el

Customer Question

i'm trying to find the blinker relay in my expedition el 2007
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: hello?
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: i'm trying to find the blinker relay for my 2007 expedition el
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes, i cant afford $$$ to have my closest ford dealer fix it. i assume its a bad relay because i've already put in a new blinker bulb and that didt't fix the problem
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: new bulb
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: nope. i've already spent almost $2,500 already. ouch!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
this is useless! i cant wait half an hour for this answer.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.

Hello, there is no flasher or relay in this vehicle. The turn signals and hazzard lamps are controlled by the Smart Junction Box/Fuse Panel which is a computer module. WHich would require a diagnostic check done with a dealer style or aftermarket scan tool capable of pulling codes on the SJB module.

Principles of Operation

NOTE: The smart junction box (SJB) is also known as the generic electronic module (GEM).

The SJB monitors the multifunction switch position by sending multiple voltage reference signals to the multifunction switch. When the multifunction switch is in the LH or RH TURN positions, or the hazard lamp switch is pressed, that input signal is routed to ground.

When the SJB receives a request for a turn signal or hazard lamps, the SJB supplies voltage to the appropriate turn lamps.

The timed on/off cycle is determined by the SJB and is set to flash approximately 80 times per minute if both the front and rear turn lamps operate correctly. If an individual turn signal lamp is inoperative, the SJB flashes the remaining turn lamp approximately 160 times per minute.

Field-Effect Transistor (FET) Protection

The SJB utilizes a FET protective circuit strategy for many of its outputs (for example, the headlamp output circuit). Output loads (current level) are monitored for excessive current (typically short circuits) and are shut down (turns off the voltage or ground provided by the module) when a fault is detected. A continuous DTC is stored at that time for the fault. The circuit will then reset after a customer demand of the function (switching the component on, 30-minute battery saver being energized). When an excessive circuit load occurs several times, the module shuts down the output until a repair procedure is carried out. At the same time, the continuous DTC that was stored on the first failure will not clear by a command to clear the continuous DTCs. The module will not allow this code to be cleared or the circuit restored to normal until a successful on-demand self-test proves that the fault has been repaired. After the on-demand self-test has successfully completed (no on-demand DTCs present), the continuous DTC will have been cleared and the circuit function will return.

The SJB FET protected output circuits for the turn lamp system are for the LH front turn lamp output and the RH front turn lamp output circuits. The rear turn lamps utilize the stoplamp circuitry and are also protected.

Pinpoint Test N: The Hazard Lamps Are Inoperative/Always On

Refer to Wiring Diagrams Cell 90, Turn Signal/Stop/Hazard Lamps for schematic and connector information.

Normal Operation

The smart junction box (SJB) sends a voltage reference signal to the hazard flasher lamp switch through circuit CLN30 (GN/OG). When the hazard flasher lamp switch is pressed, the voltage signal is routed to ground through circuit GD138 (BK/WH). When the SJB detects a request for the hazard lamps, the SJB provides voltage to the appropriate turn lamps.

The hazard flasher lamp switch is a momentary contact switch.

DTC B2071 — is an on-demand DTC that sets when the SJB detects a short to ground from the hazard flasher lamp switch input circuit.

Possible Causes

• Circuit CLN30 (GN/OG) open or short to ground
  • Circuit GD138 (BK/WH) open
  • Hazard flasher lamp switch
  • SJB