Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My ac cluch is not coming on : i have a few troubles my ac

Customer Question

my ac cluch is not coming on
JA: Many things can cause trouble with the A/C. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: i have a few troubles my ac is not working and the compressor was short cycling and now does not come on at all
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: well i have hooked a guage up to low side and with truck running i have about 40 psi
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: im trying to find the relay for clutch
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is***** can will try to assist you

can you tell me year ,make & model and mileage ? thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2000 ford f150 . 5.4 v8 208345 mi

so low side indicating 40 psi with truck running , but a/c clutch not engaged correct other compressor is not on or is it coming on & off , is it cycling quickly ?

the short or quick cycling indication of low system Freon

but if the system is full and the compressor is cycling then we need to look at the low pressure switch mounted on the a/c drier in that model ,it will be like a screw in type ,screws on side of a/c drier with 2 wire connector on it , these are common failure on f-serie, especially at that mileage . we can test that one , with jumping the connector .if that is causing the a/c clutch from coming on off, if we jump the connector that you unplug from the low pressure switch, the ac compressor should stay on .

let me know what from what i described is happening and i will try to narrow it down for you.