Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I have a 2007 Ford 5.4 3v triton. I'm in the process of

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Ford 5.4 3v triton. I'm in the process of replacing the cam phasers and timing chains and guides. when I put the new phasers on they are in the wrong position. The key on cams need to be rotated. Do I need to remove valve springs?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 6 months ago.

Hi there.

The 5.4L is classified as an interference engine, which means valves will come in contact with pistons if the engine is rotated at any time timing gears and sprockets are not aligned. Having said that, if that happened while the engine was running, there is a strong probability that internal engine damage has already occurred.

On the other hand, if internal damage was not found, I could upload the procedure for you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
how would I go about positioning cams and rockers in proper position?

Please see attached PDF for instructions.