john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger, off road, 4x4. The indicator

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger, off road, 4x4. The indicator light will not come on in either position. I listen for the change noise but it does not sound.
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: no
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Ford Mechanic to figure that out. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My 4-wheel drive worked the last time I used it but nothing will happen when I put it in 4x4 low or 4x4 high.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I checked all the fuses but none are blown.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like the shift motor on the back of the transfercase is sticking. Double check that fuses are not blown, and connections to the transfercase is tight and clean.

Try this. Have the vehicle idling in neutral with the foot on the brake. Have someone inside the truck slowly activate the 4x4 switch while someone else is under the vehicle tapping on the shift motor with a hammer. Try this several times. If it then goes into 4x4 mode, replace the shift motor. What you're doing is trying to unstick the motor.

If the plastic cover on the shift motor is blue in color, this is the old style and will need to be replaced.

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you