Kevin Bourcier
Kevin Bourcier,
Experience:  Owner/Technician at Max Air Mobile

My 2004 explorer xlt rumbles at 60-65mph. Feels like rear

Customer Question

My 2004 explorer xlt rumbles at 60-65mph. Feels like rear end shaking. The tires have plenty of tread. What is the problem at only 74kmiles? Yes, low mileage.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2004 explorer xlt rear end shakes at around 60-65mph. Tires have plenty of tread. What is the problem at 74k miles?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: it depends on the problem and solution.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: Engine and Catalytic converter went out and recently replaced. Only 74k miles. Will there be any Ford assistance with these problems at low mileage?
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 74k miles 4.0 v6
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kevin Bourcier replied 4 months ago.

hello . have you tried rotating your tires ? Front to rear , rear to front to see if that makes any change ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
tires rotated, alignment, tranny, differential,etc. Everything many times. what is another possibility?

yes . I would suggest checking your rear drive shaft and U-joints .

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
As i wrote before, everything was checked having to do with the rear, etc. even the transmission, cat converter, and engine, One guy wants to know cuz he believes he's that good but can't figure this. I think it's an ego thing and professional pride at not wanting to be 'defeated" by a car problem. Finally they all have sent me to the internet. It seems this has no real solution but go back to Ford cuz this must be a deep, deep, problem with manufacturing or something secret. I hope they admit it and fix/replace/refund/ re-purchase because this is junk. Do you have any more suggestions?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also checked for loose pipes and undercarriage while replacing the cat converter.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Checking the converter.

I am quite certain that your issue is a bent or out of balance driveshaft

Thanks !

hello ! Thank You for using Just Answer . It has been my pleasure to be able to offer my assistance to you .