Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

04 ford expedition a/c relay not turning compressor on seems

Customer Question

04 ford expedition a/c relay not turning compressor on seems to not be getting ground to coil terminal
JA: Many things can cause trouble with the A/C. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Need a wiring diagram for a/c system clutch control I think the computer is not grounding the relay but I want to be sure and don't have a test procedure
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've done all the testing I know the relay has power and the cut off switches have power
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 4 months ago.

Hi there.

What size engine is in that Expedition? Manual or Auto A/C? Front-only or dual?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Manual a/c 5.4 engine
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dual a/c I have a good scanner shows data a/c pressure switch open
A/c clutch off
Cycling switch off
Wide open cut off no fault

Got it. Thanks.

That data indicates low refrigerant levels. Time to put the scan tool down and grab a set of manifold gauges and put on the UV glasses to find that leak!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Pressure is 90 psi low side when off that's not the problem jump the relay I'm at 40 low 225 high

I see. That PID that shows the pressure switch being open, is it for the High or the Low side? Is the PCM receiving an A/C request?

Did I loose you? What kind of scan tool are you using?