Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

I have a 1996 Thunderbird I accidentally put the battery in

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Thunderbird I accidentally put the battery in backwards and hook the terminals up for about 3 minutes when I put them back like he was supposed to go it had blown like a dummy fuse i replace the fuse and now the air conditioner won't blow it was blowing hot air I was going to put freon in it but now it doesn't blow at all what's wrong
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What can occur when this happens like this here is the ac/heater control on the dash can become damaged internally from the cables being connected incorrectly.I have seen several computers and ecu's become damaged internally when the cables are connected backwards like this here.I would double check and make sure all fuses are o.k. in all fuse panels.If this is checked and found to be o.k. I suspect the heater/ac control on the dash was damaged internally.The blower motor resistor may have been damaged internally as well needing replaced.The only way to be sure is to test these components with a multi meter to see which ones are affected needing replaced.If you have a multi meter to test signals and some basic tools I can try and walk you through some testing on this just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete