James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Have a 2008 6.4 power stroke. Just pulled into garage with

Customer Question

Have a 2008 6.4 power stroke. Just pulled into garage with 22 miles left till e....cleaned the truck for a weekend trip...added diesel from transfer tank and i now believe it to have had water in it. I started to yest an electrical connection and it ran rough...turned it off as all i need to check was a ground but looking back it was running rough. Later i started it again...real rough...like it jad a big cam in it. It died would not start again.
Purged fuel at the shrader valve on the cooler...it was white!...checked water seperator....white also. Drained fuel from tank...filled with normal looking diesel...repurged line upto the cooler and now it wont start. Trying to crank every few ninutes all night...wont start...have a battery charger in back up charging and the shop vac reversed on the starter to keep high volumes of air coolong the starter.....thoughts?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 6 months ago.
Hello, to bleed the fuel system you want to loosen the return line. It is on the fuel cooler closest to the driver seat. The shrader valve won't get all of the air out due to its design. I would loosen the back line, cycle the key 5 times 20 seconds each, then turn the engine over while the line is still loose. This should get the vehicle started again . Please try this and let me know if it works or not.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it is not like when we worked on the motor and needed to purge the air from the lines...we now need to bleed the old fuel out of the system? And loosening the return line should accomplish this?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
are the white bubbly things on top of the fuel cooler that I am seeing water particles
Expert:  James replied 6 months ago.
White bubbly is likely water mixed with the diesel still.
Expert:  James replied 6 months ago.
Using the return line to bleed the system is the fastest way to get clean fuel back to the engine
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We have honestly probably done this procedure at the return line now 10 - 15x lots of diesel on the floor lots of oil dry! Went to the gas station to get 10 gallong of new good as i see it diesel to add to the tank. We siphoned 20 gallons out of the tank yesterday with a transfer pump. All of the diesel is a yellow but not as clear as in the new cans from the gas station. I cant remember but what would happen if this was or had regular gas in the transfer tank amd i added that to the truck?
Expert:  James replied 6 months ago.
Will it still not run?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Solution, we tried cycling the truck at the fuel cooler rear line closest to the firewall roughly 20 times, much diesel all over the floor lol! Seen what a mess we had all over the garage floor we decided to go For Broke and started opening different lines. The first set of lines we opened or on the back of the motor 2 acorn nuts that hold the fuel rail lines down. We cycled the key twice letting fuel come out of those ports to find on the third cycle when we tried to start it the truck did start and run rough. The truck has now been running for about 25 minutes We turned it off check the fuel bowl twice clear diesel and also check the water separator clear diesel hopefully this helps for future reference.
Expert:  James replied 6 months ago.
Usually getting to the fuel pump yards is hard work. I'm glad you got it working. Please remember to rate my service so I receive credit for assisting you.