HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

Rear a/c not working on 2006 e350 van : front a/c works fine

Customer Question

rear a/c not working on 2006 e350 van
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: front a/c works fine except when going up hill rear does not blow
JA: Many things can cause trouble with the A/C. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing dont know where to start
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, the rear ac blower motor doesnt work at all? What happenes to the front ac when going up a hill, does it start blowing warm?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
going up hill front stops blowing. I understand this is normal so the engine gets the power. The rear does not blow air any time.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, the front blower should never stop unless you turn the blower off, so if you are loosing airflow that is not normal. The rear blower not working at all could be an issue with the blower motor itself, is the rear not working on any speed? The front still blows but changes temperature to warmer?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help or information?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
In reviewing the blowers, they don't stop going up a hill.
Nothing comes out of the front vents until demand on engine eases.
Nothing comes out of the rear any time.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Ok the problem with the front is an issue with the vacuum supply, when the engine is accelerated the engine loose vacuum, there is a vacuum check valve then allows a vacuum tank to keep vacuum supplied to the blend doors. When you loose vacuum the airflow will default to the front defroster mode. Inspect the white vacuum line under the hood on the passenger side coming off the engine heading to the ac box. There will be a check valve in line.Make sure the vacuum hose is in one piece. Vacuum is only allowed in one direction. Replace the vacuum check valve first and recheck. If it still has an issue, there is a leak in the vacuum tank which is located on the rear of the ac evaporator box, which would require removal of the evaporator case. or you can run a remote vacuum tank in line of the old tank to resolve this issue inside under the dash instead. As for the rear blower gain access to the rear blower motor and test for power and ground to it in the rear ac case. if it has power and ground then the motor has failed and needs replacement.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern??