HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

2004 f250 5.4l engine with 110,000 miles recently started

Customer Question

2004 f250 5.4l engine with 110,000 miles recently started making a ticking noise while driving and the engine is under load.
JA: Many things can cause a car to make those weird sounds. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: When cold or warm and driving with the engine under load, there is a ticking noise. The noise disappears when the engine is not under load and it does not tick when idling.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Maybe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: other than it is not a know or rattle. definite tick.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Hello, if the noise appears to be coming from the engine, I would suspect either an issue with a camshaft phaser or timing chain/guide making a noise under a load. You would have to isolate the noise with a stethescope or chassis ears to be certain. The timing chain can stretch over time or a portion of the chain guide could be falling apart. Or issue with the camshaft phaser/valvetrain. These are common noise issues with the engine. Long as base engine oil pressure is ok, if it is low, you may have a crankshaft main bearing noise under a load. The rear bearing cap is a common wear item as well with the thrust washer being part of it and wearing down over time

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help or information?