Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

Unknown reason the alarm system (which I didn't know

Customer Question

For some unknown reason the alarm system (which I didn't know existed) has starting honking the horn at 10 second intervals. Any ideas?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have no idea what further to tell you.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: We wound up disconnecting the battery (just to stay the infernal honking) the battery was dead privously so we replaced it. Thanks when all of this began. According to the owner's manual there is supposed to be remote control (no idea what happened to that) ISN'T THERE SOME WAY TO DISABLE THIS THING?
JA: Battery issues can be tough to diagnose - lots of things to consider. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 5 months ago.

Hi there.

I don't see any vehicle data on my screen that could tell me what you're working on - all I see is that it's a Ford.

Assuming the vehicle is an older Ford (more than 5 years old), the symptoms you describe point to the passive anti-theft system (PATS) having been activated. Due to its anti-theft nature, the PATS cannot be disabled by normal methods. It can only be disarmed by an original key or remote fob. If neither of those items are available, you'll need to contact either an authorized Ford repair shop or licensed locksmith.