Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Three times in the last 4 weeks, my car 1998 Ford Explorer

Customer Question

Three times in the last 4 weeks, my car 1998 Ford Explorer hasn't started (doesn't turn over, no sound, at all, nothing. I think it has something to do with my anti-theft because the anti-theft light is blinking. I have eventually got it started each time, but sometimes it's taken over 40 minutes. I've tried holding the ignition switch to on for 5 minutes (several times sometimes), disconnected the battery, locking and unlocking the doors, etc. Also, when I finally do get the car moving, it feels like it's trying to keep me from moving forward and pulling back, i.e. like the brakes for the first minute I begin driving after getting it started. Another important clue, I think, is that the first time it happened, I was at a car wash (so I'm sure they moved my seat/steering wheel). The other three times it happened was when the guys in my parking garage parked my car. Any ideas?
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I took it to my mechanic and he is having a hard time troubleshooting. He suspects it may be the starter, but he's not sure so doesn't want me to put the expense out in case it's something else. And I am reluctant to do so, only because after it happens and I start driving again, I don't have a problem. Thanks!
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: Not as long as you got the entire chat I just sent you.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!