Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master
11302663

I have a 2006 ford e150. The battery light comes on and the

Customer Question

I have a 2006 ford e150. The battery light comes on and the gages stop working when I give it gas. I don't know if there is a short or maybe the alternator is bad. what do you think?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 months ago.
greetings, Do you have a multi meter to check the charging system? Lets start by checking battery voltage when running. It is possible the alternator is failing and the cluster is acting up because low voltage. We should see aprox 14 volts when running. The alternator has an internal regulator and diodes that can fail and cause symptoms like this. let me know what you find
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can't test it but another symptom is that everything is normal until I hit the gas. It doesn't matter if it is in gear or park.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 months ago.
Many parts places will test batteries and alternators for free. I would have the vehicle charging system tested. If the vehicle is not charging in most cases it will be an internal failure in the alternator. You can pick up the alternator where you get the systems checked, like at auto zone.