Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609

Ron how are you? I have a 2000 ford f250 7.3 diesel with a

Customer Question

ron how are you? I have a 2000 ford f250 7.3 diesel with a hard start, cranks and cranks and cranks and then starts, no codes, I changed the ipp and still same condition. any ideas
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Is this hard star when it hot or cold or both?

Once it starts, how dose it run?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
both and runs good, no rough idle or smoke or check engine lights, just cranks and cranks and cranks, then fires up
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was reading about possible idm but I don't want to just throw parts at it
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

In most cases if its an electronic control issue there will be fault codes setting. The first thing that come to mind with me is the glow plugs or the glow plug relay. Have you check them?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no but normally glow plugs kick check engine light and after warmed up glow plugs no longer are in use and it still hard starts.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Yes I would agree , usually anything in the electronic control system will set a code. With no codes to work with Im not sure I can point you in the right direction on this one.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
we also checked fuel psi and seems to be good, and the ipr has no signs of leakage, maybe next step is pull valve covers and check harness and injectors? that's why I ask the professionals, unaware of next step
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Yea I would do that ,as Im sure you know the valve cover harness is a very common known issues on the 7.3 and that usually dose not set any fault codes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok well thanks anyways, hoping for a more sure approach
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

I wish I could give you something more profound but with out any codes its a guessing game.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
or a common issue with more probability
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
7.3 diesels have been around along time and I cant be the only one with this issue
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

If you would like, I can open this back up for you and perhaps someone else has something different to offer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if you can I would appreciate a second opinion from maybe a diesel tech, not to say that your not, not trying to be rude just trying to get the fix.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Sure thing, opening it up now.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Have you checked the pressure readings with a scan tool that can read the high pressure actual vs desired or do you have a manual gauge you can install and see what the pressure is? That will give an indication of a seal issue in the valve covers.

On the IDM, yes they get weak and cause issues, but they tends to drop out on one of the injector driver chips giving a IDM failure code.

On the glow plug relay, if the connection is coming off of it whether the glow plugs throw a code or not, it powers the IDM so if you have a bad connection off the power pin from the relay, you will get low voltage out of the IDM. I would check to make sure you are getting the proper voltage from the glow plug relay to rule that out.

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will get some info for you and respond soon thanks for the extra effort
Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

You're welcome. Hopefully we can get this narrowed down a bit.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?