Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

Have a Ford F150 that won't turn over when hot. It has a

Customer Question

Have a Ford F150 that won't turn over when hot. It has a new battery and I just replaced the starter/solenoid. Otherwise it runs well. (2002 Triton 5.4L 8 cyl)
Category: Ford
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 5 months ago.
Hi there.I can probably help you, but first I need to know what you mean by "won't turn over". Does the starter engage and crank the engine when the ignition switch is turned to the START position? Does the engine start and run on its own?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If I go out to my vehicle now, it will simply turn over and start normally. If I drive it for twenty minutes then turn it off, it may not turn over at all unttil it cools off, although all electrical seems OK.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When hot, if I turn the ignition switch to the START position, nothing happens, no sound, but all the panel lights come on normally. If I leave the truck for 30-60 minutes, it starts fine again.
Thank you for that clarification.According to the symptoms you describe, there could be several causes for the starter not cranking the engine when hot; defective starter/solenoid assembly; bad battery; faulty starter relay or wiring.To diagnose the root cause of the issue, we need to do it while it's happening. Check voltage at the Red wire connected to the starter solenoid with the ignition switch turned to START. I voltage is more than 10 volts, try to turn the engine manually to ensure it turns easily. If it does, and voltage reads over v10 volts, replace the starter. If there is voltage, but it's less than 10 volts, recharge and load test the battery. If there's no voltage at all, replace the starter relay.Please let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
As I mentioned, I just replaced the starter/solenoid thinking that was the problem. Same symptoms as before the repair. I also replaced the battery with the best I could buy just this winter. So that should eliminate those factors. The supply from the battery is good otherwise, so the relay looks like a possibility. I'll try your instructions to test for that. Thanks,
Steve,I wish I had a dime for every "new" or "good" part I had to replace during my long career. As is, you can either take advantage of my past mistakes and follow the diagnostic path as I've posted it, or not...I hope everything goes well. Let me know if you have any questions along the way.