Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care

I have a 1998 Ford Expedition 5.4L 4WD that had a dead

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Ford Expedition 5.4L 4WD that had a dead battery. I had it tested and it tested fine. After reconnecting it and driving it a short time it died again. I pulled the alternator and the positive post had been severely burnt. It looked as if it arched. I replaced the alternator and charged the battery again. Now it starts just fine nut dies after about 5 seconds. After 5 or 6 starts the battery can no longer start the truck. The truck does not run long enough for me to test the alternator output. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question,From the looks of the picture it looks like the terminal got hot because there was a poor connection. Lets start first with getting the battery charged so we can get the truck running for some testing. Once you have the engine running take your 12 volt test light or a volt meter and at the connectors on the alternator check and see if you have battery voltage on the yellow/white wire as well as the orange/lite blue and the lite green/red wires . All three need battery voltage for the alternator to charge. See the wiring diagram in the link below for reference. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it. Check theses wire for me and post back with the results and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello, the problem that I am having as I stated in my question is the truck runs for about 5 seconds and dies. Can I do any tests on it without it running?
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 5 months ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. My first instinct tells me that your starter is the cause of this problem. First of all, a good and fully charged battery shouldn't be drained after only 5 or 6 restart attempts. This, coupled with the fact that the alternator got so hot, indicates to me that you most likely have a bad starter. I will ask that you do what is called a voltage drop test (which can be done without the engine actually running, and then we can get to that problem after) on the battery while cranking. to do this, make sure your battery is fully charged and then try again to start it, but this time have a voltage meter directly on the battery, meaning the red line on the positive terminal and the black line on the negative terminal, and have it set to 20 volts DC. You should have approximately 12.6 volts before start and it should drop to 9 volts or so during cranking. When you have run this test, let me know what the voltage is. If it drops much more than 9 or not at all during cranking, then I will condemn your starter, and then we can move on from there with diagnostics.