Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master
11302663

I have a 2002 Ford F-150, 1/2 ton P/U, 8 cyl. My air

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Ford F-150, 1/2 ton P/U, 8 cyl. My air conditioning just started blowing hot air last week when I have the A/C turned on. I checked the pressure of the freon because I thought maybe it was to low, and it read that it was a very high. So I took it to a local mechanic shop that I trust and who have had worked on my truck previously. They did an A/C check (I paid $85 for) and they said that it was an electrical problem with my computer. That there was a pin inside the engine computer (I assume they meant the PCM and where just using laymen terms) that was malfunctioning and turning the compressor on and off repeatedly. That was the reason it wasn't cooling. They told me I'd have to replace the engine computer to fix the problem. They said it would cost $633.
Does this sound correct? Is the engine computer (PCM) likely causing the hot air problem with my A/C? If so, is the PCM easy to replace, I've been reading around and it doesn't look that difficult. I've seen that I could buy the part from Autozone for between $200-$300. Is this acceptable and will my truck run well and A/C work if I do this?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
Greetings, Did the shop find any trouble codes? to replace the PCM you will have to program the new one. Not that common to fail and cause an a/c issue. did they swap the a/c relay with another?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know of they found any trouble codes. They did not replace the A/C relay. Should I do that first?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
PCM controls the a/c relay. I would swap out the a/c clutch relay with another first. next I would check the high pressure switch, do a wiggle test on the connector and see if changes the a/c operation.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
trying to access the ford site, having issues
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
check high side and low side switches
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
it is possible the PCM connector/pin fit is the cause but I would look at other places first.