tims auto repair
tims auto repair, mechanic
Experience:  owns a repair shop....25 years
14541291

How would you test a crankshaft sensor on a 1994 ford ranger

Customer Question

How would you test a crankshaft sensor on a 1994 ford ranger pickup.*****, manual transmission. Where is the sensor located, and can I change it with out any special tools. Thanks Gerry
JA: How many miles on the car? Is it the original transmission?
Customer: Lots of miles , and yes this is the original Transmission.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes , I am pretty capable and have been working on my own junk for years.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a no start situation, and checked for fuel on the rail, and have fuel . Then check for spark, which is there but seems erratic on the timing light
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your ford?
Customer: I had a rocker come of the head , two months ago and I took the plenum off and valve cover off and put the rocker back in place . thats about it,
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  tims auto repair replied 6 months ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist you.what engine do you have?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have the 2.5L 4cyl. engine
ok
will it start with a prime?[starting fluid or a little fuel into the throttle body?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I pulled the plugs and put a bit of fuel down the cyl. and got nothing . No pop at all?
ok,,did you check the spark plugs for a spark?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I put on the timing light and it showed spark going through on all but on plug?
did you see the spark on the plug/plugs?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No , I didn't have an assistant to turn it over at the time. How ever I can get that done.
ok..we need to make sure it does in fact have a spark on the plugs
also,if it does have a spark,spary starting fluid into the throttle body and let me know if it fires
if it has a spark and doesnt fire with a prime,,im going to think it jumped time on the timing belt
PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX].https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfy7g0djla6sadh/0523-ranger-Dual%20Hall%20Effect%20Sensor.doc?dl=0.if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this waythanks.www.dropbox.com/s/bfy7g0djla6sadh/0523-ranger-Dual%20Hall%20Effect%20Sensor.doc?dl=0. If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks , Tim It may be several days before I can work on this truck again. I will check for spark at the plug and prime he plentum . The timing belt will be a good possibility . Thank you.
you are very welcome