Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master

I am having the sounds like I am dragging a chain link fence

Customer Question

I am having the sounds like I am dragging a chain link fence from my 2006 4x4 F-150. Local dealership has had it twice and it is back again. Computers are getting no codes
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: On occasions while driving it sounds like I am dragging a fence or metal on metal grinding. It happens when the transmission is cold as well as hot and varies when it occurs, sometimes I can go a week with no noise. it is loud enough to even scare drivers next to me. I had the rear differential fluid changed and a week later the sound started again. local technician has not been able to duplicate the sound
JA: Many things can cause a car to make those weird sounds. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No, I have the vehicle at Summerville Ford in Summerville SC as I type this
JA: OK! The Ford Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: 114,000 miles and no major issues, I love my 2006 and 2013 so no complaints about anything else
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ironmike replied 5 months ago.
Greetings, Is the truck 4x4? did the dealership check the IWE solenoid?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 5 months ago.
I have seen a few trucks with the same noise complaint caused by the IWE solenoid failing and allowing the IWE to try an engage at the front axles.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 5 months ago.
This system uses vacuum to keep the IWE system disengaged. Not the brightest idea.