Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

98 explorer. Drivers seat doesn't move forward or backwards.

Customer Question

Hi. 98 explorer. Drivers seat doesn't move forward or backwards. All other controls on seat are functional. What can I do?
Also both front door locks have to manually be opened the power door locks are not functional. The back doors are.
Thanks hope you can give me some guidance.
Angela
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

On the seats, when the motor starts to wear, the seat will not move front to back like you are experiencing. It is common complaint when the motor needs to be repplaced or there is dry grease in the seat track. Usually it is a worn motor.

On the front door locks, that is also a common complaint on the Explorer. The door lock motors go bad and the motor needs to be replaced. You have power to the locks for if you didn't, none of them would work. Since you have power, then the door lock actuators are the fault and they need to be replaced. For your age of vehicle, that is a very common problem.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok so i gotta get a motor for the seat. Is there anything I should check to rule out? How difficult is it to do, replace the motor?For the door locks, actuator seems to be something I have read about. Hown difficult is that one gonna be?I am mechanically able, no knowledge in this area. I am able to figure things out, it's much easier with direction. So skill and ablw level is up there knowledge of cars and this stuff works not so much
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.

I would check the tracks on the seat first. See if there is anything caught in the track. I am attaching a full diagnostic sheet and info for the seat motor.

CLICK HERE

The door actuators are fairly easy. The door skins need to be removed and the actuator is held in with 2 small screws. The metal rods are held in with plastic clips. You unsnap the clips and then pull the rods, unplug the harness, and then remove the screws. Install is opposite.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I wasn't able to open that. I'll see is I can open or on the pc
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.

It doesn't work too good with phones. PC is best.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?

Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.