Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Did not start yesterday. Got jumped and took to AZ to check

Customer Question

Did not start yesterday. Got jumped and took to AZ to check battery and alternator. He said battery was bad and replaced with a new on. Tried to start but would not start for several attempts. Finally started and drove 10 miles home with lights on. Tried to start today, will not attempt to start. Charged battery and it is fully charged and still will not even click at the starter like it is even trying to start
JA: How old is the battery? Have you checked the battery gauge on the dash?
Customer: 1 day old.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2001 ford explorer limited
JA: When was your last tune up?
Customer: 1 year
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes.
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: charging battery. charged. cleaned connections . 12.7 amps leaving battery. Do not think it is the battery, alternator or starter.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 5 months ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist ok, lets start with some voltage checks. what is the battery voltage at the battery??what did you mean 12.7 amps leaving the battery?? did you mean volts while running???did you check for power at the starter motor solenoid??? Roy
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Next door neighbor had large battery charger on wheels. This charger what I was told when switched to surge should have started it. Probably volts. he said 12.7 was good and would probably go to 13.7 when running and the alternator is working.
Expert:  roy replied 5 months ago.
ok, but in order for me to help, I need more exact readings. what is the voltage at the battery now???