Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000
29534642

99 Mustang. No wipers or washer motor. Replaced

Customer Question

99 Mustang. No wipers or washer motor. Replaced multifunction switch. Didn't help. Pulled harness at wiper motor. No voltage on any of the 5 pins. Pulled fuse 26. Verified fuse is still good with meter. Now what?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here, does fuse 26 have power to it with key ON? It won't have power to it without turning the key ON. If it does, check the GREEN wire at the wiper motor, it should have battery voltage with key ON. Let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
12v at 26. 0v at motor.
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.
Alright, is it 4.6L or 3.8L?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
3.8 auto
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.
OK, that is the problem, were losing voltage somewhere. supposed to be a straight shot from the fuse to the wiper motor. Pull the wiper HI/LOW relay, with key on, do you have voltage to one of those pins in the relay socket? Check this diagram.
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.
I meant ON/OFF relay, it should have power to it with key ON. Did you get that diagram I posted?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
One female spade on each of the two battery junction box relays has power (12v). Spade 86 on the one closest to the engine. Spade 30 on the one furthest from the engine. None of the other spades have power (with the relays removed of course).
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That is with the key on, yes.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay, I was bored waiting for a reply lol, so I checked voltage at motor pigtail. It's there now. Don't ask me how. Wipers still aren't functioning though but getting there I guess.Checked ground too. It's good as well.
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.
you have power to the motor now on the GREEN wire? with key on? I'm still digging.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yep. Dark green has 12v now, key on.
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.
OK, and still nothing , no washer pump no wipers any speed right?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No pump or wipers at any speed.
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.
OK, I'm going to say it is the GEM module then. All your signals from your multi function switch go to the GEM module then out to the relays and wiper pumps as you can see from the diagram I posted. You've got voltage everywhere you should have it now, and you tried another switch, so in my opinion, that is the most logical component. They do go bad. especially if it's original.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay, I will swap out the GEM tomorrow and let you know.
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.
Alright, sounds good.