Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

I just bought a used 2013 F150 XLT last Friday, and today

Customer Question

I just bought a used 2013 F150 XLT last Friday, and today when I used the intermittent wipers to clear the dew off the windshield, the switch wouldn't turn the intermittent wipers off. I turned the truck on & off several times, I turned the wipers to High & back off both quickly and slowly; still wipers sweep across a dry windshield. My mileage is 58,000, so this isn't under the 36,000 mile warranty.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Do you know if there is power to the wiper motor?
Customer: The wipers work in the "on" position. They just won't turn off even when the switch is rotated completely.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, because it's out of warranty. I have a 2012 Escape that I have used the wipers on frequently, and it's never had this problem. Surely the switch or motor can't be worn out in 3 years!?
JA: Great! What have you tried so far? What confuses you?
Customer: I have checked that I do not have the sensor wiper option, used canned air to try to blow out the end of the wiper switch on the turn signal arm, and searched the internet for a fix. So far, just lots of people with the same issue dating back to 2010 and no one saying they have found the problem and fixed it.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: The intermittent setting worked just fine last week when I was driving home from the dealership, and worked fine yesterday afternoon.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question,The problem you are having with the wiper is a known concern and Ford has released a service bulletin calling for replacing the multifunction switch with and updated unit. I have enclosed the service bulletin in the link below for your review. Installing the new upgraded switch will resolve this problem. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view the link.