Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

1989 F-250, 460 efi truck runs fine until it warms up to normal

Customer Question

1989 F-250, 460 efi truck runs fine until it warms up to normal running temp, shut off for 5 min. restarted and truck died after about a mile or so, will restart after a few minutes and then dies after a mile or so.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: possibly
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: replaced coil, distributor fuel filter. fuel pumps replaced about 2 years ago
JA: So many things can cause fuel pump issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge by chance? I would really like to verify that we have 35 psi of fuel pressure when it cuts off. if we don't, we will know that is the problem, and if we do, we can rule it out. Also, when you replaced the distributor, did it come with another ignition module, or did you swap your ignition module over to the new distributor? thanks.