Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

1988 Ford 450 super duty, 7.3 l diesel. Just had a new ford

Customer Question

1988 Ford 450 super duty, 7.3 l diesel. Just had a new ford engine installed. I had turn signals, now I do not. No stop/flashers either. Was working when I picked up the truck but 10 miles later no signals. No 12 vdc at fuse for flashers and no 12 vdc at fuse for turn signals with key on. I do have 12 vdc at fuse for dome light. Truck runs. Head/clearance lights work. There is a small gauge wire by the main battery that comes from the front of the truck and goes to the fire wall that has a ring eyelet and is not connected but is clean like it should have been terminated somewhere. It is just long enough to connect to the starter relay???? Any ideas?
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: It is a manual transmission. There is a steering wheel lock. I checked voltage for the turn signals with the tranny in neutral with the key on.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes. I was hoping that there is a loose or pinched wire from the engine install.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far? Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: Every thing was working before I had the engine replaced. All the fuses are good (ohmed out). The turn signals were working then I drove the truck about two blocks and the turn signals stopped working.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 6 months ago.
Hi sorry to hear about your problem .if all your fuses are okay, and you checked your hazard flasher relay and your multipurpose switch for the turn signal ( the one on the steering wheel) is working , than I will look inside an engine compartment to see if u have any loose ground wires .An engine swap might be the issue if the left some loose ground wires that were not tighten and they got loose after you drove it a little from vibration.Get a flash light and look all the way around the engine compartment.