Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

1995 E350 7.3 powerstroke cranks but no start, died while

Customer Question

1995 E350 7.3 powerstroke cranks but no start, died while running then crank it a bit more times and it cranked again did it a few times until now cranks but no start, replaced IPR still doing the same thing.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
got 45 psi on the valve hpop but dont hear the injectors while cranking
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no smoke,
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Do you have a scan tool that can show the actual versus the desired ICP pressure? What about the CMP on the front of the engine. Does the wires look ok? With a scan tool, you can see what the CMP is doing. That 45 psi, is that tht oil pressure or the fuel pressure? If that is oil, it is seriously way too low. If fuel, you are good.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No i dont have a scan tool yeah thats fuel pressure, yea the wires look good I can check if they have current
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
See if you have pulses coming from the sensor. If you do, it is working. With no smoke, you have no fuel or no CMP to activate. You are getting the wait to start light? What about the check engine light? Check fuse 30 and make sure it hasn't blown. If it did, unplug the plug on the fuel filter housing in the bottom for the fuel heater. Replace the fuse and see if the vehicle will start.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
do you have a diagram of the fuse boxes
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
I just looked on the Ford site and there isn't one listed. That's most likely due to the age of the vehicle.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what is the number 30 fuse supposed to say ?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
Fuel Heater.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I googled the diagram this is what I got
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
That is under the hood. There is one in the cab too and I can't find a diagram for it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
there is like 5 relays on the driver side right in front of the battery
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
It's not a relay. It is a fuse for the fuel bowl heater. When the fuse goes, it will shut the fuel down and you will only get cranking with a no start or smoke. That is why I suggested to check it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
checked all the fuses anyway they are all ok
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
Are you getting the wait to start light on? Is the glow plug relay cycling? Has that been checked?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yeah I am getting that yeah glow plugs are working because it starts with starting fluid and I checked the line valve cover lines too
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
It will start with starting fluid and run after?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it did it twice ran for about 10 min and then shut off, the third time tried starting fluid but it only cranks no start
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
That is a little different. Do you have a manual oil pressure gauge to be able to test the oil rail? If not, maybe your local autozone has a scan tool on the tool borrow program so you can see what the oil pressure is in the rail. Since you got the truck to start a few times, I'm beginning to lean towards a oil rail issue with either the HPOP not pumping (since you have no smoke indicating actuation) or there is a really bad oil seal leak at one of the injectors and not allowing the pressure to get high enough. If it was electrical, the truck wouldn't even have ran for 10 minutes. Oil it would and then just quit like ti did.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
just put new CPS still the same thing. how do I check the oil rail. I do have lots of gauge tools, I was noticing the oil pressure was little bit less that half it was on the normal space but about 1/8 less than half. since I have 2 harness going into the injectors per head can i unplug one at a time to check if bad seal could be the problem?, how do I check the HPOP?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
another how does the low oil pressure stops the fuel.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
The injectors are actuated by the oil. If the pressure gets to low, the injectors will not fire because there is not enough force to push the fuel out the tips. To check the HPOP, first use a scan tool to see what the actual versus demand is. Then you connect a tee into the ICP sensor that can read up to 4000 psi and low of 100 psi. You then crank the truck and see that the rail is showing at least 450 psi and then builds to 650 which is the barely minimum for the injectors to open and fire the fuel into the cylinder. CLICK HERE for a video on it.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating. Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond. I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not. We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask. Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you, Jeremy