Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have 06 F350 with 6.0 liter powerstroke you can turn the

Customer Question

I have 06 F350 with 6.0 liter powerstroke you can turn the key on and the engine will not spin over until about 10 seconds after you hear something click underneath the hood then it will start spending what could be the problem
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
HI,Ok, the only thing that could be clicking under the hood is the starter as the starter relay is in the central junction box underneath the driver side of the dash(see attached). The clicking noise is the starter solenoid finally getting power The delay in power to it is either the relay or ignition switch. Swap the relay out with the tow relay in the same junction box and see if the delay is still there. If it isnt, replace the relay. It it still has the delay, replace the ignition switch Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I switch the relays in that did not help how do I test the ignition switch
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
HI, you need to check for 12v on dark green wire at the ignition switch when cranking
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK thankx
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
Hi, you are welcome
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I checked the dark green wire it has fire in it with the key over when you turn the key on you have to wait about 30 seconds then when the electric fuel pump kicks on it will crank
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
HI,I am not sure what else would cause the delay unless it is the starter solenoid itself. I can open this back up to other experts if you would like and see if another expert has another take on it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The ficm module does not click when you turn the key on or the fuel pump does not work until about 30 to 45 seconds after it sits with the key on then you will hear the electric pump on the frame come on and it will start and run fine
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today. I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence! You have an odd issue here. Do you happen to have a Ford IDS scan tool or another scan tool that can pull up the Ford live data including the FICM sync? When you turn the key on, do you get the buzzing on the injectors getting the truck ready to start? Can you check the fuel pump pressure when you turn the key on? For it to hold off and wait several seconds before starting, I'm wondering if there is a stored code and that is why I asked about the scan tool. __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back. Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,they are not the site feedback. Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer! Jeremy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have a snapon
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
See what the FICM SYNC shows. It should be a yes. If it is a no, then there is a programming issue in the PCM causing the fuel pump to delay and the FICM to not power on.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We just had the cab off doing head studs and EGR Delete and the programmer has not been put on it to delete the EGR out of the ECM could that be the problem
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
That changes things... Yes, that will cause all these issues because the engine is looking for those items at the key on and they are not there. You are in limp mode at key on and you are getting the delay from that. You'll need to get the programming done or the tuner chip put in to resolve a lot of these issues.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It won't do it after it sits overnight or you let it sit a little while and then it cranks up just fine but you can turn it right back off and it won't even crank the engine over until you wait 30 to 45 seconds and when you hear the electric fuel pump come on it will crank over and start fine
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
The fuel pump might be going out if that is the case. It is getting hot and the overload switch in it is activating and waiting for it to cool down.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That would cause the starter not to work?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
I'm opting out. This is really beginning to just waste my time when you are not being complete with me of all the issues with the vehicle and what has been done. First you write it is just the starter with no engage until a click to an issue with the fuel pump to a delete done and the PCM not being programmed.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. The past 2 techs have opted out. I may be able to help.Can you list out what questions you need me to answer?
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have a 06 F350 with 6.0 liter powerstroke diesel we just had cab off doing ARP head studs and EGR Delete put it back together and she runs fine for about 2 days now when you get in it you have to turn the key on and let it sit for about 30 to 45 seconds before the starter will ever engage first thing in the morning after it sits all night you can turn the key on and the ficm module will click fuel pump will come on and she will crank and start fine you can turn it right back off then you have to let it sit for 30 to 45 seconds with key on and when you hear the electric fuel pump kick on it was crank over and start fine
Thanks for getting back with me.Normally on a functioning vehicle you turn the key to the start position. The engine spins called cranking. If everything is working, then the engine then starts. As you have it written, your saying it will not crank. You hold the key in the start position this 30 seconds later it then cranks and starts, correct?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
you can just turn the key on and listen for the electric fuel pump on the frame when it kicks in then the engine will crank over and start the the ficm module or nothing comes on when you turn the key on until you wait the 30 to 45 seconds
Okay lets go after the cranking issue first, since its a easier circuit to work on. Duplicate this then remove the starter relay under the dash. Pin 30 is always powered. Pin 86 is it powered when trying to start and is pin 85 grounded when trying to start. Let me know which of these 2 is not occurring but comes back after the wait time.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The starter relay is clicking when you turn the key to the crank position
You have physically felt it click during this issue and the engine would not crank? If so then testing at the starter motor is where we are going next based on those results minus the wire testing I prefer.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I felt it click it clicks good
Thanks, ***** ***** going to be odd, I have never ran into a intermittent starter operation like this. Since you have verified the starter relay is signaling the starter during this issue when trying to start. That means we need to move to the starter motor. There is a large wire connected to the battery, verify it always has 12.6 volts. Next is the small wire to the starter, since the relay is working then the small wire should be getting powered. If it is from the verified starter relay working then your starter is to blame here. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Why would the ficm module and the electric fuel pump not come on when I turn the key on until you wait the 30 to 45 seconds if it's just the starter
That is what I am trying to figure out. I am trying to figure out why there is no signal to the starter first because all of these issues are related. I can back track once we get some wire testing completed. I highly doubt your going to find the starter relay even sending a signal to the starter motor.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK I'll test the signal wire at starter in the morning
Thanks, ***** ***** your doing that test when it will not crank for 30 seconds.