Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

I have a 2004 grand marquis engine light on and took it to

Customer Question

I have a 2004 grand marquis engine light on and took it to auto zone and the code is p0174 lean bank 2
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I here a hissing sound under the plastic cover under on the hood and the seem like it wants to cut off when sitting at a light and hesitate we
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I have a mechanic who will do it for me just need to find what I need to buy
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.
The P0174 is saying the engine is running lean on Bank2 (the driver's side). This can be due to a lack of fuel getting to that bank, or too much air getting in. If you are hearing a "hissing" sound, and are experiencing performance issues while at idle, it sounds like there is going to be a vacuum leak. So, first thing to do is to inspect the vacuum lines for any cracks, holes or disconnections. If the visual inspection checks ok, an intake air leak test should be done. With the engine running, carefully and sparingly spray some throttle cleaner around the base of the intake. If the engine responds, this is a sign of a leak and the intake gasket will need to be replaced (make sure to visual inspect the manifold itself for any cracks at this time as well). So, at this time, there are no parts to buy. There is no -1item, "it's this..." kind of answer here. The main objective here is to find the source of the "hiss" noise as this will most likely be the source of the problem. If my answer has helped you, please help me and rate using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know! You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.