A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

Rear windows rolling down on their own intermittently and

Customer Question

Rear windows rolling down on their own intermittently and won't roll back up
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today. I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence! You listed 2013 and 2015 Mustang. Which is it or can I get the full VIN number so I can check if there is a common issue with this and possible recalls? How did you reset the car and calibrate the windows? Was the switch checked?__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back. Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,they are not the site feedback. Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer! Jeremy
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Your system didn't allow for me to put 2015 for year, so I put it in the model section. I did reset the car and attempted to calibrate the windows, but the back windows won't go up. I have a warranty appointment for tomorrow to check it out.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.
I would definitely have the warranty take a look because it sounds like there is an electrical short in the switch or at the module for the windows. I do know the switch takes about 2 hours to check and test out and you don't want to pay the labor for that when it is still under warranty. I would ask the dealership to test the switch and the module for not only a continuous issue, but also for intermittent. The reason is it the switch is bad, it will lower the windows and then shut off making the tech think there is nothing wrong. I did look at the 2015 year Mustangs and there is a active TSB for the rear windows for defective switches and a short at the ground for the left side motor. Ask them to so a TSB check for the issue as well. Not all will do it to try and cut the time, but you want that taken care of so it doesn't happen again or in the future.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am not finding any TSB relating to window switches. Can you provide me with a TSB Reference number?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.
TSB #16-0071NHTSA ID #10027357Date Announced:APRIL 19 2016 This is what the Ford system shows. It appears to be pretty new and that may be why you haven't found it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
a better question would be, can the technician find this TSB?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.
It will come up as soon as they put the computer on the car and confirm the VIN. The tech will get a warning of all active TSBs that need to be checked.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dealership has no record of that TSB
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Mark Houlahan, Technical Editor-Mustang Monthly Magazine states in a personal message to me, "That TSB( #16-0071) isn't coming up for 2015 Mustangs. The latest is showing as TSB 16-028. A search by 'symptom' for TSBs and SSMs (special service messages). I checked under quarter glass, convertible top, and electrical with no hits. Very strange. Still not showing up. This IS Ford's system, so not sure why it wouldn't be listed."
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.
I'm going to opt out since you have such great connections... I see the TSB so I'm not sure why the dealer can't. This is a warranty repair anyway. Good day.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 5 months ago.
Not sure where the other expert came up with 16-0071. That is for 2001 -2004 Escapes. It has nothing to do with the Mustang. But down here in Florida, we see a lot of convertibles, especially from rental car companies at my dealership, with convertible top issues and quarter window issues. There are no TSBs or SSMs for your concern. But we have been seeing issues with the BCM B, (Body Control Module B) which is mounted in the trunk on the passenger side behind the trim panels. Have that module tested properly. We had one that if we unplugged the module and plugged it back in, everything worked properly, top and quarter windows. Then it would act up again shortly afterwards.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I called BS on the other "expert"'s answer and he "opted out". The dealership was unable to replicate the issue but found that my battery was sub-par and replaced it with assurances that it would rectify the problem. I thank you Mr Penland for your candor and advice and will be happy to forward it to my dealership if/when it happens again.I'm afraid to add a star rating above as I don't believe "Jeremy" deserves it.
I completely understand. We are running into a lot of module issues in these new Ford vehicles. The 2015 Mustang has 18 modules. And they all communicate over a wired network in the vehicle. If one fails or shorts, it will cause a fw to not communicate and cause all kinds of electrical issues. But as for the battery causing your problem, it sounds like the technician that was working on it was guessing because they could not find the cause of your Mustangs problem. The one I mentioned, I spent a week on it and also contacted our Hotline Engineers in Dearborn, Michigan. They had me going all different directions till we found it by accident.