Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609

My digital odometer is not working JA: Sometimes things that

Customer Question

My digital odometer is not working
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: All my other gauges are working the speedometer tach turbo boosts boil water fuel all those gauges work it is just the digital odometer trip setting digital readings that just went blank
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If I can yes the only thing that comes on is the door ajar light when a door is open
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: No it just started
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

What is the year, make, model of vehicle?

Was the battery changed recently? If this is the only issue, then there is a loose battery cable on one of the smaller wires for the PCM. The PCM is losing partial power and the odometer going out is the indicator of that issue happening. I see this a lot when the battery was changed out and the cables are not real tight. Rarely the other times I see this is when the PCM is acting up, but there is usually no start issues or misfire issues that tend to follow it.

Lastly, I've had the cluster go bad when the other items check out to be good. To know is to connect a scanner like the Ford IDS to the vehicle and if the reading is seen in the tool, the cluster itself is going bad.

It won't be a fuse for when the fuse goes, the whole cluster goes out, not just the odometer. Just a fyi for you.

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am driving right now so I will not be able to check the wires until tomorrow but this is a 2008 F450 I am driving right now so I will not be able to check the wires in till tomorrow if this is a 2008 F 450 and all the other gauges are working
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.

Do you have lines on the odometer or it it just blank?

When you can check it later, look for the red small wire on the passenger battery. That is the wire that tends to come loose and cut off the odometer. If it is good and tight, then the cluster may be acting up on this model of vehicle with the diesel engine.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The door ajar sign comes up when the doors are open and when you show them they go out and then the whole thing is blank again
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.

So you are getting partial. Ok, that is the short at the battery or a programming issue in the cluster. I thought it was out completely. That makes a slight difference.

Check the battery cable still and then this will need a programming/flash update for the odometer lost the program in the cluster. Different situation.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond.

I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not.

We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?