Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

93' Ford 5.0 pickup, hesitates when you step on the gas real

Customer Question

93' Ford 5.0 pickup, hesitates when you step on the gas real bad. Things that have been replaced; injectors, spark plugs, pickup coil, rotor, cap, map sensor, fuel pressure regulator sensor, timing's good, new computer, plug wires tested and good, fuel pressure checks out, fuel filter, vacuum system test good. What else could be the problem
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.When you say the fuel pressure checks out, what is the pressure reading when the truck hesitates? One other thing, with everything you have already replaced have to checked the exhaust back pressure. Post back when you can and I will see if I can help you get this resolved.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Fuel pressure reads 36when idling, when open throttle goes up to 40 then comes down even when you have throttle open. The cats have been cut off by another shop.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also pulled the intake (upper and lower), replaced gasket there. Vacuum reads 19
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Okay vacuum looks good, and if the fuel pressure is hold at 36 then its okay. If you install your timing light and watch the timing, what is the timing reading when the problem occurs?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok timing I double checked timing it's all good but when watching it while I open throttle it does advance part way but hesitates in that spot till it takes off. if you open throttle slow it advances all the way like it is supposed to
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
With the SPOUT connector installed the timing is controlled by the PCM (computer) and it should move smoothly when you give the engine gas. If you remove the SPOUT dose it still hesitate?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Still stumbles with spout open
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
And dose the timing hold steady at 10 BTDC?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes timing stays at 10BTDC, Ya timing is steady hesitates with or with out spout. Spout appears to be working
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Well with everything you have already replace Im running out of ideas, have you checked the sweep on the throttle position sensor?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes checked that
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's like .98 and goes to 4.54
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
The TP looks okay with those reading.Well at this point Im out of ideas, If you would like I can open the post back up for you and perhaps someone else may have something new to add.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What about O2 sensors, have you ever seen them cause any issues like this. Is there any solid way to test these or what Ohm reading or anything. I'm just asking because I've read that as well.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
The truck would run just fine if they where bad and even if they where unplugged. They will not cause this type of problem.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Another question I have is, with the exhaust stuff that was cut off (by another shop), could that cause any related problems to this
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
The only time the exhaust would cause a problem is if the cat converters where restricted which should not be the case if they have been removed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you very much for your time!
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Your very welcome and thank you as well.