Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Ford Windstar: Matt.... I have1995 Ford Windstar. It's been

Customer Question

Hi Matt.... I have1995 Ford Windstar. It's been NPO for a year. I had it smog check yesterday and it failed on OBD System Check. The smog test Tech also pointed out that the %CO2 and O2 levels are failing, also the HC(PPM) reads 68 whereby max should only be 62. May we know what could be causing the failure? what part needs replacement? Thanks in advance.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.I would start first with making sure the engine temp is operating in the normal range because a weak thermostat will cause the engine to run cooler then it should and this will affect closed loop performance and cause the engine to run richer then it should. I would also make sure the engine is running on all cylinder and consider having the fuel injectors professionally cleaner. While doing this it would also be helpful to have the computer system scanned to see if there are any fault codes setting. Post back with the results and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok then... thanks. I'll get back with the scan results (this weekend). How can I check the thermostat? can i have it recalibrated?
Thanks Ron.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
There really is no way to check the thermostat beside monitoring the actual engine temp on your scan tool. If theirs any doubt then just replace it. It can not be re-calibrated.