HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

I am trying to replace the vehicle speed sensor on a 1998 Ford

Customer Question

I am trying to replace the vehicle speed sensor on a 1998 Ford Taurus SE 3.0l OHV V6 12 valve engine. I have located it but the access to it is very difficult. It is located on the passenger side at the bell housing of the transmission. How do I access it?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I have the car up on jack stands and I have the replacement part.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried at both the top and bottom.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: When I checked the with OBD II I got a P0122 and P500 codes and the car acts like it has transmission issues in first and second gear ranges of automatic drive
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.
Hello, it is located on the passenger side of the transaxle right above where the right side halfshaft goes into the trans. You can access it from underneath but isnt easy to replace. Also inspect the wiring for the sensor, over time the two wires can melt together and cause a circuit fault as well.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I understand where it is located but what can I remove to give the clearance to access it and replace.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is virtually impossible to access the VSS from underneath or on top
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.
No you can get it from underneath, need to wrap your hands around the trans tube and wrench it out with a small wrench. have to do it blindly.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.
Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)RemovalRaise and suitably support vehicle.Remove dual converter Y-pipe from exhaust system. Remove heat shield from transaxle.Disconnect vehicle speed sensor (VSS) electrical connector.Remove VSS retaining bolt and remove VSS from transaxle.InstallationFollow removal procedure in reverse order.Tighten VSS retaining bolt to 5-8 Nm (45-70 lb-in).
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.
Hello, do you need more help with this concern?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.
Hello do you need more help with this concern?