Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Its a 1937 f100 that i'm working on. It sits a lot and the

Customer Question

its a 1937 f100 that i'm working on. It sits a lot and the transmission is stuck in gear(rear gear). I would like to know how to remove the shift rod from transmission cover
JA: Many things can cause transmission trouble. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The truck was shifting OK until recently. It sets inside but its old and may be rusted. I have not been inside the transmission which is still in the truck & fastened to motor. How can I get it unstuck?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried to remove cover from shift but could not. That is all.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
I have been looking for over 5 minutes and nowhere can I find that the 1937 Ford was a F100 model. I see it as a model 73, 74 or 77 in 1937. Are you sure then of this year, because I don't see the F100 until 1953 when the F-1 became the F-100.Anyhow, have you tried soaking the parts overnite in PB Blaster or similar? If not, try that but it is going to be hard trying to find repair manuals that old.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
I did find some though for free, http://www.oldengine.org/members/southwell/1934-1939_Ford_Repair_Instructions.htmland the transmission exploded view, http://www.oldengine.org/members/southwell/34-39FordData/C-Ford-Transmission-Exploded.pdf
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
I think I remember seeing someone work on one of these years ago. it appears the shifter was stuck in 2 gears at the same time and he removed that cover along with the shift level still attached and unstuck the gears with a big screwdriver and put the cover back on and it was ok.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
This should be in under servicing,http://www.oldengine.org/members/southwell/34-39FordData/Zzzzd-Ford-Transmission-Text-Special-m805a.pdf
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. If you have any more questions, go ahead and ask.